For additional information on family mediation, please watch this short video (2 minutes and 24 seconds in duration), Understanding Family Mediation.

Specialist Services on the Process of Separation and Divorce

Lists of Family Lawyers by localities can be provided to clients. The lawyers on these lists are committed to supporting separating people to minimise adversarial actions. Some lawyers offer initial free or fixed fee meetings. Initial free meetings with a family lawyer may be available through a CAB.

Croydon Family Justice Centre: provides a free appointment with a solicitor regarding a wide range of legal issues- financial, matrimonial, health, education and childcare.

Telephone: 020 8688 0100

Community Legal Advice: this is a telephone and postal service free to anyone eligible for Legal Aid.
Helpline: 0845 345 4 345
Text: legalaid + your name to 80010

Wikivorce: provides free advice and support on all aspects of separation and divorce.
Helpline: 01202 805020

Useful websites:

McKenzie Friends: support people with Court applications for children’s
arrangements. This can include attending Court with individual clients.
Tel 0333 300 4679 (free line)

Advocacy Service

Advocacy in Surrey
Free telephone: 0800 335 7330
E mail address:
Website address:

Welfare Benefits

To calculate entitlement to benefits:

General Benefits enquiries

Jobcentre Plus – redirects claimants to helplines on specific benefits
You can ring them on 0800 055 6688 or Disability Living
Allowance/Attendance Allowance 0845 712 3456

Attendance Allowance

0345 605 6055 or 0845 605 6055

Child Maintenance

Service is available from Child Maintenance Options, Click on ‘Maintenance calculator’, under the heading ‘Tools and leaflets’ to work out your assessment. You can ring them on 0800 988 0988.

Money Management Problems

Citizens’ Advice Bureaux (CAB’s)
Provincial House, 26 Commercial Way, Woking GU21 6EN · 03444111444
The Old Library, Church Road, Addlestone, KT15 1RW · 01932 827187
Ground Floor, Elmbridge Community Hub, 72 High Street, Walton-On-, KT12 1BU · 0300 330 1179
Sunbury Library, The Parade, Staines Road West, Sunbury-on-Thames, TW16 7AB · 01932 827187
Harry Fletcher House High Street, Esher, KT10 9RN · 01372 464770
Guildford – 15-21 Haydon Place, Guildford, GU1 4LL · 0300 330 9013
East Surrey Advice Line 0844 111 444
See or Yellow Pages for your nearest CAB or

Pensions Forecast
Future Pension Centre – provides forecast of future state pension

0845 300 0168 or get from BR19 on

Tax Credits Queries
0345 300 3900

Income Tax Queries

Money Advice Service
0300 500 5000 /

– offers free of charge financial advice.

Debt advice Helplines

Croydon Money Advice Unit – Tel: 020 86655911

Several helpline numbers are available for clients from the Service. They include
• National Debtline – Tel: 0800 138 1111
• Community Legal Service Direct – Tel: 0845 345 4345

Independent Financial Advice & Pensions

Translation & Interpreting Service

Capita – Tel: 0845 367 7000, web:


Individual and couples counselling:

Tel no’s: 01865 242960 or 1483 602998



Other individual counselling:

Your G.P.



The British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
Tel: 0870 4435252, website

United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
Tel: 020 7014 9955, website:

North Surrey Community Counselling Partnership (The Counselling Partnership)
Tel: 01932 244070, website:



Family Therapy

Institute of Family Therapy
Tel: 020 7391 9150, website:



Child Counselling
Hampshire & Surrey Psychology Children’s Clinic
Tel: 02381 661 208, website:

In Epsom: SFMS Counselling Service 01306 741798.
Other localities: information can be obtained from our Service.

Websites for children:

Websites for teenagers:

Bereavement counselling
Cruse Bereavement Care
6 The Sainsbury Centre Guildford St, Chertsey KT16 9AG
Tele: 01932 571177, website:

Domestic Violence and Child Protection

In emergency, the Police should be called on 999.

Domestic Violence Difficulties

Reigate Police Domestic Violence Unit – Tel: 01737 765040
East Surrey Domestic Violence Forum – Tel: 01737 771350


Surrey Women’s Aid

Tel: 01483 776822.
Women’s Aid:
Women’s Aid: Tel: 01179 444411.
Rights of Women Legal Advice Line (talk to a lawyer) – Tel: 0207 251 6577. Opening times: Tues, Wed, Thu 2-4 and 7-9 and Fri 12-2.00.


Respect – Tel: 020 7022 1801, website:
Men’s Advice Line – Tel: 0808 8010327, website:
Men’s Help Guide – 01823 334244 (Mankind Initiative), website:

Reporting Concern About Child Safety

Surrey Children’s Services Contact Centre – Tel: 0300 470 9100.
Out of hours – Tel: 01483 517898.
For local authorities outside Surrey, contact Directory Enquiries or look in ‘phone book directory for the Local Authority Children’s Services telephone number.

Housing Advice

Woking housing advice and homelessness – Civic Offices, Gloucester Square, GU21 6YL – Tel: 01483 743834

Weybridge and surrounding areas – Civic Centre, High Street, Esher, KT10 9SD – Tel: 01372 474 590
Staines and surrounding areas – Tel: 01784 446383

For other local authority Housing Depts, use telephone directory services, to find out your Local Authority Housing Advice numbers.
House prices in your area:

Contact Centres for Non-Resident Parents

National Association of Child Contact Centres, web:

To make a referral, contact:
07826 745627
1st & 3rd Saturday of month 2pm to 4pm

To make a referral, contact:
01932 253920
Saturdays weekly 2pm to 4pm

Accord Family Services

To make a referral, contact:
0208 540 7715
Mon-Fri 9.00am to 6.00pm. Sat & Sun 10.00am to 5.00pm


Camberley & District Family Contact Centre

To make a referral, contact:
07768 333676
2nd & 4th Saturday of month 2pm to 4pm


Englefield Green Child Contact Centre
To make a referral, contact:
01784 471110 between 10am to 4pm
1st and 3rd Saturday of every month 2.00pm to 4.00pm or

Information and Support for Separating Parents

Families Need Fathers: provides information and support for parents of either sex, working for the best contributions of both parents to their children.
Helpline: 08707 607496 Website

Rights of Women: informs, educates and empowers women on their legal rights. Advice Line 020 7251 8887 (telephone advice) and 020 7490 2562 (text phone). Both lines open on Mondays 11.00a.m.- 1.00 p.m. and Tuesdays 10.00 a.m.- 12.00 noon.

Gingerbread: provides information, advice and support for lone parents
Helpline 0800 0185026
There is advice for parents and children on

Surrey Carers- Carersnet: a local information resource for Carers in Surrey and a national resource for people who work with Carers.

Carers UK: provides expert help and support to carers.
Tel: 0808 808 7777

Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG): campaigns against child poverty in the UK.

Contact a Family for families with disabled children.
Helpline 0808808355 (Mon-Fri 9.30 a.m. -5.00 against child p.m.)

Turn2us for information on benefits and grants.


The Grandparents Association

Information and support for grandparents where the children’s parents are separated.

Helpline 08454349585 (Mon-Fri 10.00 a.m.-4.00 p.m.)